What is a Barback?
This is a junior role for someone who wants to work as a barista, bartender or even bar manager, in the future. Barbacks usually undertake simple tasks and mainly support the more experienced bar staff before they're able to take orders, serve customers and mix drinks without supervision.
What does a Barback do?
Barbacks work behind-the-scenes to support bartenders and waiters during their shift. They also assist with bar opening and closing procedures.
- Collecting glassware and cleaning up the bar area
- Replacing beer kegs and liquor bottles
- Refilling ice bins
We are looking for a Barback to support our Bartenders and the rest of our staff. You’ll assist with bar opening and closing procedures and perform various behind-the-bar tasks, such as restocking the bar and preparing garnishes.
If you’re interested in kickstarting your career in the hospitality industry, this is a great opportunity to get first-hand experience of how a bar operates.
Ultimately, you’ll help ensure that our guests get an excellent customer service and enjoy their time at our bar.
Note that, to be considered for this role, you should be legally authorized to work in a bar where alcoholic beverages are served and consumed. You should also be available to work in shifts, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
- Tidy up tables, counters and other bar areas
- Collect empty glasses and bottles
- Restock the bar with straws, coasters and napkins
- Prepare mixers, juices and cocktail garnishes
- Replenish peanuts and fruits
- Change out beer kegs and replace liquor bottles
- Remove trash and wipe down drink spills
- Refill ice bins
- Clean rags throughout the shift
- Assist the Bartenders during rush hours
- Minimum age to serve alcohol
- Interest in the hospitality industry; previous entry-level experience in a bar or restaurant is not mandatory, but will be considered a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Team spirit
- Basic knowledge of bar menu items and recipes (different types of beers and mixed drinks)
- Physical ability to lift beer kegs, hold trays of bottles and glassware and stand during the shift
- Flexibility to work during evenings, weekends and public holidays
- High school diploma; additional certification in mixology or hospitality is a plus