What is a robotics engineer?
Robotics engineering is a field of engineering which centers on building machines that replicate human actions. A robotics engineer creates these applications or autonomous machines (aka robots) for industries such as mining, manufacturing, automotive, services and more. Often, the goal is to program machines to do repetitive, hazardous or unhealthy jobs.
What does a robotics engineer do?
A robotics engineer designs prototypes, builds and tests machines, and maintains the software that controls them. They also conduct research to find the most cost-efficient and safest process to manufacture their robotic systems.
- Conducting research in various robotics fields (e.g. nanotechnology)
- Designing processes and prototypes to build machines
- Testing robotic systems
If you like this robotics engineer job description, check out the rest of our engineering job descriptions.
We are looking for a robotics engineer to design and build robotics applications and devices. You’ll use computer-aided modeling to create drafts, and perform tests on the robots to ensure safety and quality.
For this job, you should have a degree in an engineering discipline. You should have deep knowledge of flexible automation and computer systems, and also possess an aptitude in cost and efficiency optimization.
If you also have a great deal of resourcefulness and a vision about what your machines can do, we’d like to meet you.
- Conduct research to determine the parameters of a robotic application
- Design robotic systems from start to finish
- Develop and implement software that will control robots
- Create prototypes and work on necessary components (e.g. microprocessors)
- Develop cost-effective and efficient processes to produce the machines
- Perform integration tests and quality control
- Apply machine learning techniques
- Create complete documentation for robotic systems
- Monitor the use of robotic systems and optimize their functionality
- Troubleshoot defects in the robot design
- Keep abreast of advancements in robotics and relevant fields of engineering
- Previous experience as a robotics engineer or similar role
- Well-versed in computer science, applied physics, and mechanics
- Excellent knowledge of CAD/CAM software
- Knowledge of cost, efficiency, and productivity optimization methods
- Ability to develop and evaluate integrated systems
- An analytical mind
- Outstanding communication skills
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar field