What is a principal?
Principals oversee all higher-level operations in a school. They create a safe learning environment and set performance goals both for students and teachers, and oversee the process so that those goals are attained.
What does a principal do?
Principals supervise teachers and education staff and keep track of student performance.
They ensure that school facilities remain safe for students and faculty and plan regular maintenance of school grounds and equipment. Principals also research and acquire new materials and resources to improve the experience of both students and teachers.
- Setting performance objectives for students and teachers
- Implementing and monitoring school policies and safety protocols
- Overviewing administrative tasks (e.g. updating employee records)
When building your own school principal job description, be sure to tailor these responsibilities to your specific needs.
We are looking for a new principal to join our team and foster a healthy learning environment for our students. Your primary responsibilities will be to supervise our education staff and oversee day-to-day school operations.
To succeed in this role, you should be able to make quick decisions under pressure and have a comprehensive understanding of the national education system and its regulations. Excellent communication and organizational abilities are also important skills you should demonstrate as a principal.
If you meet these requirements and you’re passionate about a leadership role in education, we’d like to meet you.
- Oversee day-to-day school operations
- Manage school logistics and budgets
- Set learning goals for students and teachers based on national curricula
- Monitor and report on teacher performance
- Present data from school performance to board members
- Research new resources and techniques to improve teaching
- Interview and hire school personnel
- Review and implement school policies
- Provide guidance and counseling to teachers
- Handle emergencies and school crises
- Organize school events and assemblies
- Ensure a safe and clean environment for students (e.g. implementing hygiene rules)
- Attend conferences to gain knowledge on current educational trends
- Previous experience as a principal or in a similar role
- Knowledge of school administrative processes and national educational regulations
- Hands-on experience with MS Office and education management systems
- Attention to detail
- Great presentation and communication skills
- Crisis management
- Ability to coach and inspire
- A teaching license is preferred
- Degree in Education; Master’s degree is a plus