Payroll Clerk Job Description
Payroll Clerk responsibilities include:
- Managing compensation packages using payroll software
- Collecting and verifying timekeeping information for all employees
- Calculating pay according to hours worked incorporating leaves and overtime
Hiring a payroll clerk? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a qualified Payroll Clerk to assist in all activities regarding the management of employee compensation in the company. You will undertake a variety of tasks such as entering payroll information, calculating wages and making payments.
An excellent payroll clerk has great understanding of the concept of confidentiality. You will be experienced in entering data with attention to detail and will have good maths skills to make the necessary calculations. The ideal candidate will be a thorough professional with good communication abilities.
The goal is to carry out all payroll procedures with speed and accuracy.
- Manage compensation packages using payroll software
- Collect and verify timekeeping information for all employees
- Calculate pay according to hours worked incorporating leaves and overtime
- Calculate bonuses and commissions when appropriate
- Manage and calculate taxes and deductions
- Initiate periodical payments timely either by preparing and administering checks or making direct deposits through a bank payment system
- Issues statements and invoices and maintain records
- Update paper and electronic payroll records by entering adjustments on pay rates, employee status changes etc.
- Calculate unemployment and severance payments
- Deal with complaints and questions regarding payroll from employees and upper management
- Investigate and resolve any discrepancies in payroll
- Prepare and submit reports with payroll information to supervisor
- Proven experience as payroll clerk or payroll manager
- Familiarity with general accounting principles
- Experience in data collection, entry and reporting with great attention to detail and confidentiality
- Solid knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and regulations
- Computer savvy with working knowledge of relevant software (e.g. Payforce)
- Exquisite math and numerical skills
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication abilities with aptitude in problem-solving
- High school diploma or equivalent; BSc/BA in accounting/business administration is a plus
Recruitment application that enables businesses to find candidates, manage applications, and generate interview bookings easily.