What is a dentist?
Dentists are responsible for anything regarding the health of the mouth, including the teeth, gums and dental tissues. They need to be licensed to perform their duties. Note that dentist education requirements may differ from country to country or from state to state.
What does a dentist do?
Dentists can be general practitioners or specialize in specific areas (e.g. pediatric dentists, endodontists and periodontists). In this case, they’ll need to develop specific dentist skills. Often, they’re required to complete additional studies.
- Conducting oral screenings to identify diseases and infections
- Removing tooth decay and plaque
- Applying prosthetics, sealers and whiteners
We are looking for a Dentist to diagnose, treat and advise our patients on various dental issues.
You’ll need to have experience treating a range of teeth and gum problems, from simple cases like removing plaque to more complex procedures (e.g. placing dental implants).
Ultimately, you’ll promote good oral health and help patients apply preventive dental care.
- Examine patients’ medical records
- Prepare patients for treatment (e.g. by applying oral sedation or anesthesia)
- Check teeth, gums and other parts of the mouth, along with X-rays and tests, to diagnose dental problems
- Clean teeth and remove plaque
- Identify tooth decay and replace cavities with fillings
- Design and fit dental prosthetics, such as bridges, crowns and dentures
- Apply teeth-whitening treatments
- Conduct tooth extractions and root canal procedures
- Perform surgeries on diseased tissues and bones
- Prescribe medication as needed
- Educate patients on proper brushing techniques, flossing and fluoride use
- Promote good oral health and preventive dental care (e.g. by scheduling regular check-ups)
- Work experience as a Dentist
- In-depth understanding of dental hygiene
- Experience with dental equipment and tools
- Experience with surgeries and teeth extractions
- A pleasant and compassionate personality with the ability to make patients feel comfortable
- Attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD) or similar degree that gives license to practice the dentist profession