What is a claims adjuster?
A claims adjuster examines insurance claim liability for property damage (e.g. homes, offices, or automobiles) or personal injuries. They either work in-house for insurance companies or as external contractors.
What does a claims adjuster do?
Claims adjusters collect information from various sources to determine insurance liability based on the extent of property or personal damage. They interview claimants and witnesses, and often consult with specialists, such as policyholders and engineers. After that, they estimate if the damage is covered by insurance policies and calculate payments.
- Examining property damage and physical injuries
- Preparing and processing claim reports
- Negotiating payments with claimants
What skills are needed to be a claims adjuster?
Claims adjusters usually have a degree in insurance, finance, or relevant field. Their skills include competency in appraisal software and MS Office. The role also requires good interpersonal skills and experience in writing reports.
When crafting your own claims adjuster job description, be sure to include these requirements.
We are looking for an experienced claims adjuster to join our team.
On a daily basis, you’ll handle and process insurance claims. You’ll examine property damages and physical injuries to calculate claim liability. You’ll achieve this by gathering information from various sources, for example, through interviewing claimants, witnesses, or specialists (e.g. policyholders, physicians, or engineers). To succeed in this role, you must have strong analytical thinking and excellent writing skills.
If you are a reliable person with a strong work ethic, we’d like to hear from you.
- Inspect property and physical damage
- Analyze complex information from different sources
- Examine claim liability
- Prepare and process claim reports
- Consult with specialists (e.g. physicians, engineers)
- Calculate benefits and payments
- Negotiate settlements with claimants
- Examine police reports, videos from surveillance cameras or audio if applicable
- Support attorneys to defend the company in case of contestation
- Previous experience as a claims adjuster or similar role
- Working experience in using appraisal software
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills
- Experience in writing detailed reports
- A compassionate and resilient personality
- High school diploma
- Degree in Insurance, Finance or similar field is a plus