Job last updated on 7 November 2022
Staff Nurse - Interventional Radiology | Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust
Southend University Hospital NHS Trust
Only on site
Interventional Radiology (IR) or Image Guided Surgery is an exciting and expanding speciality. MSE Group of Hospitals are looking to expand our nursing team.
We currently have a full time vacancy for an Interventional Radiology Nurse. If you have at least 18 months post registration experience in acute care and an interest in learning to participate in this specialist field of surgery, then we would love to hear from you.
We are looking for a team player who is hard working, enthusiastic, flexible and willing to learn new skills.
The main duties for this post will include:
• ensuring that an individual programme of care is planned, implemented and evaluated for each patient within own sphere of responsibility.
• Working as part of the multidisciplinary team ensuring the delivery of a high standard of care to the patients.
• Participating in all relevant aspects of the Governance process.
• The post holder will adhere to the NMC code of Professional Conduct at all times and ensure compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
• To act as a positive role model at all times.
At Southend Hospital NHS Trust we strongly believe in patient care and want to attract likeminded people to help build and maintain a supportive and enjoyable place to work, that’s why our trust values are ‘care with compassion, working together and professional and accountable.'
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust is now one of the largest trusts in the country, serving a population of 1.2 million people. Our newly formed Trust, comprising acute hospital sites at Broomfield in Chelmsford, Basildon and Southend, is determined to provide the best health services for its local population. We are a well-led, high-performing and innovative organisation working in the best interests of the people we serve.
With a workforce of approximately 15,000 staff, we can now do more and go further in delivering health services to our local communities.
Our ambition is to deliver excellent local and specialist services, to improve the health and wellbeing of our patients, and provide a vibrant place for staff to develop, innovate and build careers.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Undertake all training necessary to develop the skills to provide a high standard of Interventional Radiology nursing care that meets the patient's needs, within the agreed policies of the Imaging Department and Trust.
2. Use their previous nursing knowledge and skills for the clinical observation and recording of data relating to patients across all areas serviced by the Imaging and Interventional Radiology Team, ensuring that accurate records of patient care and progress are maintained and reviewed
3. Make appropriate and safe decisions relating to patient needs and communicate this effectively to other members of the multi-disciplinary team caring for the patient and their family where necessary.
4. Respect patients' dignity, wishes and beliefs, involving them in decision making and obtaining their consent either verbally or written for every intervention.
5. Communicate regularly with staff, patients and their relatives, to promote and maintain understanding, progress and co-operation with treatment.
6. Initiate and participate in departmental developments and take a proactive role in the implementation of procedures and policies to improve patient care.
7. Be aware of the role of audit and research, have the ability to maintain an effective audit trail and work towards continual improvement in quality assurance programs.
8. To be competent in the administration of i.v and oral drugs used in Interventional Radiology and Imaging and to undertake relevant drug administration training to comply with national and local Trust guidelines.
9. Once competent, to participate in the delivery of all Interventional Radiology and Imaging procedures that require nursing support.
10. Maintain and protect the safety and confidentiality of patients and families.
11. Once fully trained to actively support the Sister/Charge Nurse in the implementation of advanced nursing practice within the Imaging department
12. To work flexibly in accordance with the changing needs of the service.
1. Maintain up to date registration with the NMC and work within the Code of Professional Conduct
2. Ensure professional nursing standards are maintained in accordance with NMC Code of Professional Conduct.
3. Comply with policies and procedures laid down by the Trust, and adhere to specific IR/Imaging Department and Interventional Radiology policies and guidelines.
4. Once fully trained, to assume managerial responsibility for the Imaging Department in the absence of/to support the Sister/Charge Nurse, which may include booking bank staff and authorizing absence.
5. To assist in the planning, co-ordination and management of human, financial and physical Nursing resources within the IR/Imaging Department.
6. In conjunction with the Sister/Charge Nurse, ensure the Department environment is conducive to effective learning and be responsible for the development of nursing practice within the Department, and supervision of junior nursing staff within the clinical setting.
7. Act as a role model to junior members of staff and as a mentor to nursing students on placement in the Department
8. Support staff in the IR/Imaging Department with service development and new initiatives.
9. Present a professional image in a manner that promotes a positive impression of Interventional Radiology, Imaging and the Trust.
10. Demonstrate effective communication skills within the Imaging Department and use these to facilitate collaborative working within the multi-disciplinary team
11. Comply with Imaging Department and Trust health and safety, infection control and risk management policies at all times.
12. Demonstrate the importance of obtaining, organising and recording accurate information, by self and others.
13. Understand the Trusts complaints procedure and as appropriate manage a situation in a sympathetic and timely manner.
14. Participate in the recruitment, selection appraisal and development programme for junior colleagues
This advert closes on Monday 21 Nov 2022